Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force.

by Daniel Russ on January 12, 2019

Post image for Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force. ca. 1944 — General Dwight D. Eisenhower is shown with his staff. Left to right, seated: Air Chief Marshall Sir Arthur Tedder, General Eisenhower and General Sir Bernard Montgomery. Left to right, standing: Lieutenant General Omar Bradley, Admiral Sir Bertram Ramsey, Air Chief Marshal Sir Trafford Leigh Mallory and Lieutenant General W. Bedell Smith. — Image by © Bettmann/CORBIS

 

From Rick Atkinson’s The Guns At Last Light,

SHAEF by midsummer had already tripled in size from 1500 Allied officers and men originally envisioned for the headquarters. Now the roster tripled again, to 16,000, they would fill 75,000 square feet of office space. Eventually 1,800 properties around Versailles were commandeered to house 24,000 Allied garrison troops. A French magazine mocked SHAEF as the Societé des Hoteliers Americains en France…..one liked the organization as a sea serpent. “Some had seen its head. Some its middle and some its tail. But no one had seen the entire sprawling mass.”

Share

Related Posts:

  • Stay Tunes For Similar Posts

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: