The Imperial Russian Evstafi Class Battleship Ioan Zlatoust 1910, The Last Pre Dreadnought Battleships Ever Built.

by Daniel Russ on September 3, 2012

The Imperial Russian Battleship Ioan Zlatoust

The Ioan Zlatoust


Ioann Zlatoust was an Evstafi class battleship of the Imperial Russian Navy. She was the last of the pre-dreadnought battleships to be built in the west and served in the Black Sea Fleet. She was the second ship of the Evstafi class. This particular ship engaged the German battlecruiser SMS Goeben during combat at Cape Sarych in 1914.

 

She was armed to the teeth. She had 14 75mm guns, 2 12-inch guns,and 2 17.7-inch torpedo tubes, 6 6 inch guns and 4 8-inch guns.  And Obukhovski 12 inch Pattern 1895 40 caliber guns were in twin turrets fore and aft. She had a top speed of 16 knots and a range of 2400 miles, plenty for the Black Sea.

 

Considered larger versions of the battleship Potempkin, the Evstafi Class Batlesjhips saw action for one war in one theatre and were retired. The Iaon Zlatoust was captured by the Germans and turned over to the Allies during the Armistice.

 

 

The Imperial Russian Evstafi Class Battleship Ioan Zlatoust

The Imperial Russian Evstafi Class Battleship Ioan Zlatoust

 

 

Source: Flickr, Wikipedia

Share

Related Posts:

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: